This post is dedicated to my three and a half year old son Charlie. The most amazing gift a dad could ask for. Thank you for teaching me something everyday. With all my heart, Dad.
Kids (of all ages) live by their instincts openly and without hesitation. They can be enthusiastic about life, eager to learn, and curious about everything. Even though they still have a lot to learn, just observing them can teach us many practical life lessons.
Here are 30 practical life lessons my son has taught me. They are simple, yet pertinent to living a happy, healthy and productive life.
- Nurture and value your relationships.
- Pursue your curiosity.
- Be okay with messy.
- Learn to clean up after your are done.
- Be grateful for what you can have.
- Hold hands with those you love.
- Celebrate the seasons.
- Call it like you see it.
- Make every day the best day ever.
- Even if it’s not fair you don’t stop trying.
- Fight for what you believe is right.
- Ask questions (a lot of them).
- If you’re bored, find something to do.
- It’s good to dream.
- Tell those you love that you love them.
- Don’t be afraid to express yourself.
- Start each day with excitement.
- Time together matters most.
- Things don’t have to always be sorted perfectly.
- Sometimes spontaneous days are the best.
- Often structured days are needed.
- Don’t be afraid to speak the truth.
- Learn by Imitation.
- Humming and singing can be beautiful.
- Observe others.
- Never let failure be permanent.
- Never by afraid to try something new.
- Sometimes it’s best to just jump.
- Share with others about things you love.
- You’re never too old to play outside.
What life lessons has your child or someone you know taught you?